invoke thunderbird and firefox when gnome starts

Dear all,

In order not to invoke thunderbird and firefox manually when gnome starts, I tried to save the current settings when I log out.  But gnome says it can not save thunderbird and firefox settings.

I also tried to start thunderbird and firefox in .xsession:
# thunderbird and firefox
thunderbird &
firefox &

exec gnome-session

That's OK.  But since thunderbird starts before gnome, the fonts in thunderbird is ugly.  Is there any way to start thunderbird after gnome?

Best regards,
Dai Yuwen