Re: Beta-3 Etch install avoiding commandline?

Andrei Popescu <andreimpopescu@getmail.com> writes:

> I still think the installation of a OS (any OS) is not something to do
> if you don't have some basic knowledge of computers.

That's a bug, not a feature. I'd like to see the installation of
Debian be as hard as "installing" your TV: plug in some wires and hit
the power button.

> A wrong answer and
> you could wipe all your data.

The software should (ultimately) prevent that.

It's been a while since I installed Debian, but I'd like to see X get
launched ASAP (assuming the user isn't using a dumb terminal) so that
GUI programs can lead the user through the installation. It would make
Debian look a whole lot more professional, and enable more people to
use it. The use of aptitude is NOT obvious by looking at it. Synaptic
is a lot better in this regard. A GUI installer would also be more
usable by appealing to the users' emotions.