Re: Beta-3 Etch install avoiding commandline?

Zbigniew Wiech <Zbigniew_Wiech@netia.pl> wrote:

> 1. Windows need just one empty partition for "C" disc. Debian asks for
> decisions about filesystem elements (root, swap, home), that are not clear
> for somebody new in linux. Don't say about automatic partitioning. As a
> newbie I wanted to retain Windows and dual boot. (In fact it's a plus for
> linux: Windows installer does not allow to retain dual boot)

I still think the installation of a OS (any OS) is not something to do
if you don't have some basic knowledge of computers. A wrong answer and
you could wipe all your data. If I recall correctly (it's been a while)
windows has an option of installing over the old installation. Most
preinstalled computers have only one partition. Then there comes the
question about formating the partition ...

> 2. Questions about mouse/video card/monitor. I had a lot of frustration
> choosing default "vesa" card and seeing black screen. I didn't then know
> it's a problem of card driver (!). Windows does it itself.

If it fails at default vesa, you're lucky it worked with windows.
Windows also uses default vesa during the install (or at least used to).

> 3. What is best solution for mail delivery for my single desktop and mail
> account on ISP server ? "smarthost", "local delivery" or "SMTP" ? Now I
> know it's kmail and I do not need exim at all.

Careful here, there is a holy war still raging about this! Kmail is
*your* best solution. Linux and especially Debian is a lot about choice.

As I recall, many of the more technical questions have text like "if you
don't know what I'm talking about then just accept the default"

> GUI installer wouldn't help much there, rather default automatic
> windows-like installation for newbies, when you're asked only for empty
> partition and your name. Curses or GIU - no matter.
>
> regards
> zbigniew

If you know what a partition is! One (stupid) user might choose the
data partition (hey, I want to keep the old install as well) and then
just reformat. I just saw an excellent quote:

"Programming today is a race between software engineers
striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs,
and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots.
So far, the Universe is winning." -- Rich Cook

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)