Re: Beta-3 Etch install avoiding commandline?

Bill Wohler <wohler@newt.com> wrote:

> Andrei Popescu <andreimpopescu@getmail.com> writes:
>
> > I still think the installation of a OS (any OS) is not something to do
> > if you don't have some basic knowledge of computers.
>
> That's a bug, not a feature. I'd like to see the installation of
> Debian be as hard as "installing" your TV: plug in some wires and hit
> the power button.

and then look through the menus for the auto-search option, which has
a different name for each manufacturer, but wait now I have all
programs, but I want to change the order and sometimes the auto-search
does not properly detect the format (pal BG or DK) and some channels
don't have sound ... It still requires you to actually RTFM.

> > A wrong answer and
> > you could wipe all your data.
>
> The software should (ultimately) prevent that.

But sometimes you want to wipe a partition (or everything) and do a
clean install. It's a feature not a bug.

> It's been a while since I installed Debian, but I'd like to see X get
> launched ASAP (assuming the user isn't using a dumb terminal) so that
> GUI programs can lead the user through the installation. It would make
> Debian look a whole lot more professional, and enable more people to
> use it. The use of aptitude is NOT obvious by looking at it. Synaptic
> is a lot better in this regard. A GUI installer would also be more
> usable by appealing to the users' emotions.

I didn't try the new installer, but I think X is launched immediately.
But my experience is that this only makes the installer more appealing
(visually). The (l)users still don't read the text. This is the biggest
problem. And the GUI installer takes up more space. This means
compromises need to be made, like less software on the first disk. I
want to have as much important software as possible on the first CD, in
case my connection doesn't work or is too slow, ...

When the GUI installer will be officially released (together with etch?)
it would be nice to have separate ISO builds (GUI or TUI) for the CD
images (for DVD it's not so important, there is enough space). But this
means more work, so I guess the TUI installer will be dropped as soon
as the GUI is stable enough.

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)