Re: debian unstable, stable enough?

On Fri, Sep 08, 2006 at 03:39:24PM -0400, Curt Howland wrote:

> On Friday 08 September 2006 15:09, Andrei Popescu
> <andreimpopescu@getmail.com> was heard to say:
> > If we are talking about unstable breakages I always remember the
> > yaird issue (about one year ago), which made my system unbootable.
> > This is how I learned to fix it with a chroot from Knoppix.
>
> While I have reinstalled from zero twice in the last couple of years,
> once for a new HD and once because Circuit City decided to reinstall
> Windows XP on my machine that was in to get the CDROM serviced (and
> the fan cleaned! never buy a laptop where you cannot clean the fan,
> it is a NIGHTMARE), I've been using Unstable on my desktop/laptop
> machines exclusively.
Hi Curt,
how can a company overwrite your HD for any reason? Maybe they say that
in the service form before you submit it but even so... They possibly
lost any data on you system regardless of what OS you had on there, which is
priceless. And secondly, they put an OS on your computer which you do
not have a license for which is illegal, no? Maybe you had XP installed
and they installed win2k, what would you do? And you'd then have to
reinstall the OS and any apps. INSANE! I know there exists a company
that makes a live-cd based on windows which could be modified to provide
a diagnostic cd, which is what I assume they were doing.
cheers
Kev
ps. what if anything did you do as a result? sue does not seem out of
the question, in not some kind of monetary or similar compensations.