Re: Multiple RAID or encrypted partitions

On Sat, 2006-09-09 at 13:35 +1000, Paul Dwerryhouse wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 08, 2006 at 07:45:08PM -0500, Owen Heisler wrote:
> > Yes, I had considered doing that.  And I'm sorry to keep harping on the
> > same question, but I thought that RAID5 was capable of having multiple
> > partitions in one array; is it?
>
> Hmmm. I didn't think it was possible, but evidentally it is; according to
> the md(4) man page:
>
> : KERNEL PARAMETERS

> I just tried this under Qemu (running Ubuntu), and it worked:
>
> mdadm --create /dev/mdp0 --auto=mdp --level=5 --raid-devices=3 /dev/hdb1 /dev/hdc1 /dev/hdd1
>
> It creates four partition devices, /dev/mdp0p1, /dev/mdp0p2, /dev/mdp0p3
> and /dev/mdp0p4.

Exactly what I was wondering.  Hopefully debian-installer will allow
creation of multiple partitions in a single RAID array when Etch is
released.  (Until then, I have some learning about mdadm to do)

> Might not necessarily work from the Debian installer though. Perhaps
> you'll have to go into a shell window and do the above by hand...

Right.  And (from what little I've seen) mdadm is rather user-friendly,
so that should help.