Re: Multiple RAID or encrypted partitions

On Wed, Sep 06, 2006 at 05:43:36PM -0500, Owen Heisler wrote:
> I am wondering if there is any reason why the Debian installer doesn't
> allow multiple partitions in a RAID5 array

Create a raid 5 array of the whole disk set and then put LVM across it. You
can then create logical volumes within the LVM volume group, and these
are the equivalent of partitions.

Remember to have a non raid 5 partition for /boot (eg, either RAID1 or
just a plain disk partition (ugh)), because IIRC, neither grub nor lilo
can cope with booting from software RAID5.

Cheers,

Paul

--
Paul Dwerryhouse				| PGP Key ID: 0x6B91B584
A look at Ubuntu Server Edition: