Re: Multiple RAID or encrypted partitions

On Sat, 2006-09-09 at 00:32 +1000, Paul Dwerryhouse wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 06, 2006 at 05:43:36PM -0500, Owen Heisler wrote:
> > I am wondering if there is any reason why the Debian installer doesn't
> > allow multiple partitions in a RAID5 array
>
> Create a raid 5 array of the whole disk set and then put LVM across it. You
> can then create logical volumes within the LVM volume group, and these
> are the equivalent of partitions.

So, is it not possible to have multiple RAID5 partitions, or is this a
temporary limitation of debian-installer?  And crypt?

Okay, I had forgotten about the possibility of using LVM.  Perhaps that
works on top of dmcrypt as well...

> Remember to have a non raid 5 partition for /boot (eg, either RAID1 or
> just a plain disk partition (ugh)), because IIRC, neither grub nor lilo
> can cope with booting from software RAID5.

Right, that's what I was planning on.

Thanks for your help!