Re: Multiple RAID or encrypted partitions

On Fri, Sep 08, 2006 at 10:37:14AM -0500, Owen Heisler wrote:
> So, is it not possible to have multiple RAID5 partitions, or is this a
> temporary limitation of debian-installer?

I might have misinterpreted your question earlier as "creating multiple
partitions within a single RAID5 array", which is why I suggested LVM.

I don't see any reason why it shouldn't be possible to create multiple
partitions /of/ RAID5, that might look something like this, for example
(ignoring the grub/lilo boot problem for a moment):

sda:
	sda1
	sda2
	sda3

sdb:
	sdb1
	sdb2
	sdb3

sdc:
	sdc1
	sdc2
	sdc3

RAID5 (1):	sda1 sdb1 sdc1
RAID5 (2):	sda2 sdb2 sdc2
RAID5 (3):	sda3 sdb3 sdc3

I've done similar with RAID1 in the past. It seems very messy to me now,
and I much prefer to just have the one partition and put LVM over the
whole lot.

> And crypt?

Don't know an awful lot about crypt, sorry. But from what I remember, it
integrates with LVM very well.

Cheers,

Paul

--
Paul Dwerryhouse				| PGP Key ID: 0x6B91B584
A look at Ubuntu Server Edition: