Re: Email programs that work.

Michelle Konzack wrote:
> Am 2006-08-26 17:14:27, schrieb Steve Lamb:
>>     Exactly.  I would love to but it can't.

>    set sendmail="sendmail -oi"

    As mentioned before this is not the same and you know it.

>>     Yet filtering belongs in the client, especially if that client has
>> multiple accounts since one wouldn't want the same filters to apply to all
>> accounts.

> in procmail:

    ( snip line noise )

> :0
> * ^Envelope-to:.*first-mail@domain
> * ^Envelope-to:.*second-mail@domain

    My point exactly, thanks for illustrating it.

>>     A rediculously complicated system?  What's so complicated about it.  Let's
>> see, I have home mail and I have work mail.  I configure my home account with
>> 1 signature, 1 POP/IMAP server, 1 SMTP server.  All the mail remains separate.
>>  All my home filters only apply to my home mail.  I need a work account I
>> configure 1 signature, 1 POP/IMAP server, 1 SMTP server.  All mail remains
>> separate.  All my work filters only apply to my work mail.

> And?  -  I use such thin daily with mutt!

    Liar.  As pointed out you can't do SMTP, you need to configure multiple
things externally so my second case is what you do.

> ??? - Wahat about:

> apt-get install ssmtp

    What about it?  Oh, I see, too complicated for mutt authors to make a
simple SMTP interface so they can do away with the command line altogether.
News flash, this is a *good* thing.  How so?  Simple.  SMTP is a DOCUMENTED
standard.  Show me the documented standard for the command-line interface.  By
providing a simple SMTP interface one can do some pretty amazing things like:

smtp = "localhost"

    Imagine that, there's your setup if you so desire.  And you're no longer
required to run an MTA which is "sendmail compatible" on the command line!

>> write filters which separate it back out.  Nevermind that all filters apply to
>> all mail all of the time.  Then, once it is filtered out, you need to go

> Than you have done something wrong (see my example above)

    Your example proved my point, thanks.

> For this I use folder-hook and send-hook and it works the same way as
> in all other MUA's with the exception, that it can heavyly customized
> which is not possibel in ANY GUI clients (maybe in emacs-os it works too)

    Exactly.  They have to be defined on a folder-by-folder basis as there is
absolutely no concept of multiple accounts or inheritance.

>> use.  Add a new folder?  Have to do it all over again.  And heaven help the

> New folder automaticaly create by procmail and maildrop if you have
> added a new filter and the mail is coming in.

    Yes, and since that folder isn't configured in mutt it doesn't know which
"personality" *spit* to use.

>> person who wants to send home mail through his home SMTP server and work mail
>> through his work SMTP server because of sticky little work policies which

> Where is the problem? - You call the SMTPD with a different config and?

    Uh, the fact that it passes through an SMTP server prior to the work
server?  The fact that configuring the SMTP server is a bitch compared to one
configuration option?

> Mozilla, Tbird, kmail, ... are working the same way!

    No, they're not.

>> state that all mail that passes through the work server is subject to being
>> read at any time by any upper management or security personell, work servers
>> are not to be used for personal mail and any work mail which is going between
>> two employees in the company must go through the work SMTP server whenever
>> possible to prevent outside companies from being able to record and review
>> confidential documents.  So know what that means?  Right, back to the SMTP
>> server to mangle outbound mail to go to the right server and pray they don't

> No need for this.

    Says you.  I cited real world examples that happen(ed) in my professional
life.

> An you spend month to try out tonns of GUI clients to know,
> one of them has the required features!

> I have tried OVER 20 different GUI MUA's (since my customes
> need it) but they are useles, even my customers ask me all
> the time about HOW to add features like...

    Michelle, seriously, don't play the bigger dick game with me.  I've been
working with different mail clients for the better part of 15 years on almost
as many operating systems and several different networks.  If you think I'm
just some hicksville new-to-the-net-know-nothing you're wrong.  If you think I
haven't played with mutt, you're wrong.  Let me just give one example of my
experience...  mutt running natively under OS/2.  So you trying 20 GUI clients
doesn't impress me in the slightest.