Re: Email programs that work.

Am 2006-08-26 17:14:27, schrieb Steve Lamb:

>     Exactly.  I would love to but it can't.

   set sendmail="sendmail -oi"

>     Yet filtering belongs in the client, especially if that client has
> multiple accounts since one wouldn't want the same filters to apply to all
> accounts.

in procmail:

:0
* ^Envelope-to:.*first-mail@domain
{
  :0
  * ^Mailing-List:.+mutt-users
  .ML.mutt/

}

:0
* ^Envelope-to:.*second-mail@domain
{
}

I have splited it into smaller parts and it works perfectly...
Oh yes, currently I am coding some graphical config stuff for
procmail using Xdialog and bash.

Same for a graphfical config tool for mutt using Xdialog and
bash too

>     You don't.  I do.  I rather like being able to read mail on my Debian
> laptop, my WinXP Game machine or any machine with a web-capable browser and
> get all of my mail all of the time.

IMAP works perfectly, including server-side searches...

>     A rediculously complicated system?  What's so complicated about it.  Let's
> see, I have home mail and I have work mail.  I configure my home account with
> 1 signature, 1 POP/IMAP server, 1 SMTP server.  All the mail remains separate.
>  All my home filters only apply to my home mail.  I need a work account I
> configure 1 signature, 1 POP/IMAP server, 1 SMTP server.  All mail remains
> separate.  All my work filters only apply to my work mail.

And?  -  I use such thin daily with mutt!

>     Mutt, by contrast, requires you to first.... learn how to run an SMTP
> server, shove all your work and home mail through it where you then have to

??? - Wahat about:

apt-get install ssmtp

$EDITOR ~/.mutt/muttrc

set sendmail="ssmtp"

> write filters which separate it back out.  Nevermind that all filters apply to
> all mail all of the time.  Then, once it is filtered out, you need to go

Than you have done something wrong (see my example above)

> through for every freakin' folder and define which address it is supposed to
> come from, which sent-mail folder it is supposed to go to, which signature to

For this I use folder-hook and send-hook and it works the same way as
in all other MUA's with the exception, that it can heavyly customized
which is not possibel in ANY GUI clients (maybe in emacs-os it works too)

> use.  Add a new folder?  Have to do it all over again.  And heaven help the

New folder automaticaly create by procmail and maildrop if you have
added a new filter and the mail is coming in.

> person who wants to send home mail through his home SMTP server and work mail
> through his work SMTP server because of sticky little work policies which

Where is the problem? - You call the SMTPD with a different config and?

Mozilla, Tbird, kmail, ... are working the same way!

> state that all mail that passes through the work server is subject to being
> read at any time by any upper management or security personell, work servers
> are not to be used for personal mail and any work mail which is going between
> two employees in the company must go through the work SMTP server whenever
> possible to prevent outside companies from being able to record and review
> confidential documents.  So know what that means?  Right, back to the SMTP
> server to mangle outbound mail to go to the right server and pray they don't

No need for this.

> nail you for the Received line.  That alone shows that Mutt is far more
> complex than it needs to be.  Separate how outbound mail gets to its
> destination in modern clients *one freaking configuration option*.  To do it
> in Mutt requires advanced SMTP server techniques!

LOL!

>     They're not misinformed at all.  Mutt doesn't do that one thing well.  It
> does it poorly and requires the end user to spend hours to do achieve what
> other clients do in minutes.

An you spend month to try out tonns of GUI clients to know,
one of them has the required features!

I have tried OVER 20 different GUI MUA's (since my customes
need it) but they are useles, even my customers ask me all
the time about HOW to add features like...

Thanks, Greetings and nice Day
    Michelle Konzack
    Systemadministrator
    Tamay Dogan Network
    Debian GNU/Linux Consultant

                   50, rue de Soultz         MSM LinuxMichi
0033/6/61925193    67100 Strasbourg/France   IRC #Debian (irc.icq.com)