Re: [OT] Sourceforge lists and Return-Path header

"Roberto C. Sanchez" <roberto@familiasanchez.net> writes:

> When I send from thunderbird from any machine, it works as it is
> connecting directly to santiago.  If I use mutt on santiago, it works
> fine there as well since it is running an instance of Postfix which can
> be reached from the public internet.  My question is this, is my setup
> broken (mutt/postfix/smarthost) or is sourceforge's setup broken?

It looks like *your* setup.  Your return path (AKA envelope sender)
must be routable.  That's how remote mailers get bounces back to you,
for one thing.

If "santiago" is or can be set up to accept mail for "miami" as local
mail (i.e., "miami.connexer.com" or "*.connexer.com" is listed in
"santiago"'s "Other destinations to accept mail for?" in Debian
Postfix configuration parlance), then all you're missing is the MX
record for "miami" pointing to "santiago":

     miami.connexer.com MX 0 santiago.connexer.com

If you can't or don't want to do this, you should either reconfigure
Postfix on "miami" to rewrite the envelope sender as if the mail
originated from "santiago", or reconfigure Postfix on "santiago" to do
the rewriting, at least on email that leaves your private domain.

The final alternative is to employ ugly per-MUA hacks, like the
"use_from" Mutt option that Andrew mentioned.

--
Kevin <buhr+debian@asaurus.net>