Re: [OT] Sourceforge lists and Return-Path header

On Tue, Aug 08, 2006 at 01:06:04PM -0700, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:

> what does your "From" header look like? Is it supposed to show a
> return address of x@miami.connexer.com? I would assume not, that it
> should show a return address of x@santiago.com... The point is, are
> you setting your From header's properly in .muttrc AND if you are
> setting them to something other than miami is postfix accepting that
> or rewriting the from address? i had this same problem with exim4 the
> other day after a reinstall, exim4 wasn't accepting my from addresses
> and was rewriting them to @basement (the name of my work machine)
> which caused them to be bounced all over the place. for reference,
> here are the pertinent lines of my .muttrc:
>

> set from=andrew@farwestbilliards.com [1]
> set realname="Andrew Sackville-West" [2]
> set use_from [3]
> set envelope_from [4]
>
> [1] sets the from header line as shown
> [2] sets the real name to include in the headers
> [3] tells mutt to use the from header as the envelope_from header as
> well
> [4] turns on the envelope_from header
>
> I hope I'm not hitting you with really basic crap here...
>
> So this sets up the headers so they look right leaving my mutt, but
> then my local exim4 would see that header and say "hey this isn't from
> this machine" and rewrite it all to andrew@basement. i had to
> configure exim4 to allow the headers to come through unchanged. I
> would assume that postfix has some similar issues as well.

I have my mutt set similarly to you and it producese this as the From:

"Roberto C. Sanchez" <roberto@familiasanchez.net>

For example, many of my mails to this list originate from miami.  My
domain is connexer.com but my mails originate from and go to
familiasanchez.net.  I have not had a chance yet to implement mail for
connexer.com and move my account over since I have been busy with
school.  Either way, the postfix running on santiago does not mess with
the From headers at all since it is configured to host more than one
domain for mail.

Regards,

-Roberto
--