Re: [Solved - work-around] Is the xserver-xorg configuration system broken?

On Fri, Aug 25, 2006 at 14:20:54 -0400, Celejar wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Aug 2006 23:10:39 +0200
> Florian Kulzer wrote:

[...]

> > You could also google for "DXS:1313 HorizSync VertRefresh" and use
> > one of the search results as a template for your xorg.conf.
>
> The first 10 or so results from Google contained the following values
> for DXS:1313 monitors (all in Xfree86 config files):
>
> HorizSync 30-60	VertRefresh 50-75 (3 files)
> HorizSync 28-50	VertRefresh 43-75 (3 files)
> HorizSync 30-92 VertRefresh 50-85 (1 file)
> HorizSync 28-38 VertRefresh 43-72 (1 file) - this is what Xorg / Dexconf set
>
> I tried 28-50 / 43-75 and I now have 1024x768 @ 60 back. Thank you
> very much for your help! I just hope I'm not damaging my monitor with
> bad values.

I think most modern monitors are pretty robust in that respect; if you
feed them an out-of-spec signal they will simply deactivate the display.
If you are really worried then you can search for a manual or a spec
sheet on the manufacturer's web page. That should provide you with the
correct frequency ranges and even with the full data that we had to
write in the ModeLine entries of the old days.

--
Regards,
          Florian