Re: [Solved - work-around] Is the xserver-xorg configuration system broken?

On Fri, 25 Aug 2006 21:22:58 +0200
Florian Kulzer <florian@molphys.leidenuniv.nl> wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 25, 2006 at 14:20:54 -0400, Celejar wrote:
> > On Sun, 20 Aug 2006 23:10:39 +0200
> > Florian Kulzer wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > > You could also google for "DXS:1313 HorizSync VertRefresh" and use
> > > one of the search results as a template for your xorg.conf.
> >
> > The first 10 or so results from Google contained the following values
> > for DXS:1313 monitors (all in Xfree86 config files):
> >
> > HorizSync 30-60	VertRefresh 50-75 (3 files)
> > HorizSync 28-50	VertRefresh 43-75 (3 files)
> > HorizSync 30-92 VertRefresh 50-85 (1 file)
> > HorizSync 28-38 VertRefresh 43-72 (1 file) - this is what Xorg / Dexconf set
> >
> > I tried 28-50 / 43-75 and I now have 1024x768 @ 60 back. Thank you
> > very much for your help! I just hope I'm not damaging my monitor with
> > bad values.
>
> I think most modern monitors are pretty robust in that respect; if you
> feed them an out-of-spec signal they will simply deactivate the display.

Ah, but my monitor is hardly modern; that's why I'm having such a hard time tracking down its specs ...

> If you are really worried then you can search for a manual or a spec
> sheet on the manufacturer's web page. That should provide you with the
> correct frequency ranges and even with the full data that we had to
> write in the ModeLine entries of the old days.
>
> --
> Regards,
>           Florian

I don't think the manufacturer (Midwest Micro and/or Infotel) still exists (in its original form, at least). I don't get much useful information about the brand name(s) when I Google. OTOH, because this is such a superannuated piece of equipment, I'm really not too worried about damaging it.

Celejar

--
ssuds.sourceforge.net - Home of Ssuds and Ssudg, a Simple Sudoku Solver and Generator