Re: Is the xserver-xorg configuration system broken?

On Fri, Aug 18, 2006 at 00:07:46 -0400, Celejar wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Aug 2006 17:38:44 +0200 Florian Kulzer wrote:
>
> <<Snip>>
>
> > I have no experience with SiS video hardware, therefore I can only
> > make general remarks:
> >
> > If you are unsure about the capabilities of your monitor you can try
> > to find it on http://www.monitorworld.com/Monitors/ or to google for
> > the model number. If you put the correct ranges for HorizSync and
> > VertRefresh into the "Monitor" section of xorg.conf everything
> > should be "safe". Maybe the ranges are currently specified too small
> > and this prevents you from running at a higher resolution.
> >
> > Maybe the problem is with the ModeLine(s); it is easy to make a
> > mistake there. I would try to comment out all of them and let Xorg
> > pick the values according to the requested resolution and the
> > specified monitor frequency ranges. All the systems I have set up in
> > recent years have worked without any ModeLines in xorg.conf (or
> > XF86Config-4). Then I would add "1024x768" as the first entry of all
> > "Modes" lines in the "Screen" section and hope that Xorg can figure
> > out the rest itself.
> >
> > -- Regards, Florian
>
> Thanks for the useful pointer to monitorworld.com. The front bezel of
> the monitor says "Midwest Micro Elite", and since the screen is about
> 14 inches diagonally, it would seem to be this monitor:
> http://monitorworld.com/Monitors/midwest/microelite14.html. On the
> other hand, there's a label on the back which says "Infotel Model
> F562D", which isn't listed on monitorworld. Googling "Infotel F562D"
> only returns one useless result.  Assuming it's the Midwest Micro
> Elite 14, monitorworld says: "H Freq/ V Freq:  30-64 khz / 100 hz". I
> assume that means that I want "HorizSync 30-64", but what should
> 'VertRefresh' be, just '100'? Also, the xorg.conf man page says that
> the units default to Hz unless MHz or kHz are added to the end of the
> line. Does that mean that the lines "HorizSync 28-38" and "VertRefresh
> 43-72" which are currently in xorg.conf are interpreted as Hz, and
> that I actually need "HorizSync 30-64 kHz"?

No, as far as I know the HorizSync values default to kHz units if nothing is
specified; see "man xorg.conf | grep -A 10 HorizSync".

If you don't find your monitor on the web then you can try to run

get-edid | parse-edid

to see what the monitor itself reports.

--
Regards,