Re: Program to draw chess boards

On Fri, Aug 25, 2006 at 20:07:36 +0200, Paolo Pantaleo wrote:
> 2006/8/24, Matej Cepl <ceplm@seznam.cz>:
> >Paolo Pantaleo wrote:
> >> I need to draw some chess boards, starting let's say from the FEN
> >> description of the board, in an automatic way (something like a
> >> script, good for automating the drawing of many boards). Is there any
> >> program that do that?
> >
> >The best is TeX solution -- not exactly drawing chess boards, but their
> >quality is perfect (as always with TeX).
> >
> >http://www.tug.org/tex-archive/help/Catalogue/entries/chess.html
> >(plus other entries mentioned there).
> >
> >Mat?j
> >

> I'am not so good in LaTex, how can I get the pgn (or gif or jpg...)
> files and not the dvi/pdf ones?

You could use "pdftoppm" (package "xpdf-reader") and/or "convert"
(package "imagemagick") to convert the PDF into a bitmap image format
with the desired resolution. You will probably have to fiddle a bit with
the parameters until you find good settings; once you found them you can
put all the commands (including the pdflatex invocation, cleaning up the
temporary files, etc.) into a short script.

--
Regards,
          Florian