Re: How to check ink level on HP Deskjet 5500

On Wednesday 16 August 2006 03:11, José Alburquerque shared this with us all:
>--> M-L wrote:
>-->
>--> >On Tuesday 15 August 2006 16:41, Marc Shapiro wrote:
>--> >
>--> >
>--> >>This tells me where the printer is, but I still do not know how to
> tell --> >>CUPS where it is.  Do I put the full URI:
>--> >>'hp:/usb/deskjet_5550?serial=MY27V1K2BY2L' into the location under
>--> >>'Modify Printer'?
>--> >>
>--> >>Any help will be appreciated.
>--> >>
>--> >>--
>--> >>Marc Shapiro
>--> >>
>--> >>
>--> >
>--> >I have been trying to get my USB Epson C43UX printer to work on etch,
> and have --> >not yet accomplished it. Worked a treat with Sarge. Seems to
> be found as your --> >own.
>--> >
>--> >
>--> On my system, I used a tool called 'foomatic-gui' for configuring my
>--> printer.  On my GNOME desktop, there's also another tool called
>--> 'gnome-cups-manager' which can be accessed from the
>--> Desktop->Administration->Printing menu, which also configures printers
>--> "graphically".  Both these tools "auto-detect" printers present on the
>--> system.
>-->
>--> If your printer has already been configured, by running one of these
>--> tools, it will be present as already configured.
>-->
>--> I don't know if you want to do this (I did and it worked perfectly fine
>--> for me, making it easier for me to configure my printer), but if you
>--> remove the present printer and simply "re-add" it (in one of those
>--> tools), I'm sure it will auto-detect your printer.  On my system, my
>--> printer had to be connected and on for it to be auto-detected so I would
>--> suggest that you make sure your printer is both on and connected!
>-->
>--> Finally, I believe there's also a command called 'printconf' which
>--> attempts at configuring printers with CUPS on the console.  I never
>--> tried this one because I had success with the two tools I mentioned
>--> above.  HTH.
>-->
>--> -Jose

Thanks Jose,

But none of this works for me, printconf or otherwise, I still get the same
error when trying to print, a test page or otherwise:-

Unsupported format 'application/postscript'!

I maybe don't have something installed, but what that might be has me stumped.
I installed everything I could think of, and still no joy.

Thanks for your help though, more reading and looking.

Charlie

--
Registered Linux User:- 329524

Linux Debian Etch