Re: How to check ink level on HP Deskjet 5500

On Tuesday 15 August 2006 16:41, Marc Shapiro wrote:
> Marc Shapiro wrote:
> > José Alburquerque wrote:

> >> Also, I found a neat gui utility for ink and such things for epson
> >> printers called mtink by looking for my printer on
> >> linuxprinting.org.  If something exists for your printer, you'll most
> >> probably find information for it there also.
> >
> > I checked hplip (with apt-cache show) and it looks like it does the
> > kind of things that I need, but it also says to use hpoj for parallel
> > connected printers, which mine is.  The docs on hpoj do not mention
> > checking ink levels, but I installed it, anyway.  I do not see any
> > mention of it in the installed docs, either.  I will take a look on
> > linuxprinting.org and see if there is anything there.
> >
> > Thanks.
>
> OK.  I checked linuxprinting.org and it said that hplip should work and
> reminded me that the printer DOES have a USB connection.  So I
> disconnected the parallel port and connected by USB.  The output of
> dmesg shows:
>
> ohci_hcd 0000:00:03.0: wakeup
> usb 1-1: new full speed USB device using address 18
> drivers/usb/class/usblp.c: usblp0: USB Bidirectional printer dev 18 if 0
> alt 0 proto 2 vid 0x03F0 pid 0x6004
> usbcore: registered new driver usblp
> drivers/usb/class/usblp.c: v0.13: USB Printer Device Class driver
>
> so it seems to be getting recognized, but nothing prints, now.  I am
> guessing that I need to tell CUPS that the printer is now connected via
> USB, and not the parallel port.  How do I do that?  I have been looking
>
> through the CUPS documentation, and the output of lpinfo is:
> :/usr/share/doc/cupsys/online-docs# lpinfo -v
>
> network socket
> direct hp:/usb/deskjet_5550?serial=MY27V1K2BY2L
> network http
> network ipp
> network lpd
> direct parallel:/dev/lp0
> direct usb://hp/deskjet%205550?serial=MY27V1K2BY2L
> direct usb:/dev/usb/lp1
> direct usb:/dev/usb/lp2
> direct usb:/dev/usb/lp3
> direct usb:/dev/usb/lp4
> direct usb:/dev/usb/lp5
> direct usb:/dev/usb/lp6
> direct usb:/dev/usb/lp7
> direct usb:/dev/usb/lp8
> direct usb:/dev/usb/lp9
> direct usb:/dev/usb/lp10
> direct usb:/dev/usb/lp11
> direct usb:/dev/usb/lp12
> direct usb:/dev/usb/lp13
> direct usb:/dev/usb/lp14
> direct usb:/dev/usb/lp15
>
> This tells me where the printer is, but I still do not know how to tell
> CUPS where it is.  Do I put the full URI:
> 'hp:/usb/deskjet_5550?serial=MY27V1K2BY2L' into the location under
> 'Modify Printer'?
>
> Any help will be appreciated.
>
> --
> Marc Shapiro

I have been trying to get my USB Epson C43UX printer to work on etch, and have
not yet accomplished it. Worked a treat with Sarge. Seems to be found as your
own.

I was told that you add usb:/usb/lp0

I tried this without being able to print.

By the examples given It should be usb://usb/lp0

But that didn't help either.

Maybe it should be:- direct usb:/dev/usb/lp0
But in your text where it sees the printer it uses two // rather than one
I have been working on it for a couple of weeks, but without being able to
print, and no one appears to know enough to clear this up.

I think I have posted what I did in a previous thread, though it's of little
use, because it doesn't seem to work.

With what I tried, I get an error message about postscript which i can't post
here because I am on a different lappy and don't have the exact text.

No help, but maybe it will work for you?

Charlie

--
Registered Linux User:- 329524

Linux Debian Etch