Re: system-dependent variables

On Tue, Aug 15, 2006 at 05:09:32PM EDT, Csanyi Pal wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 15, 2006 at 04:13:13PM -0400, cga2000 wrote:
>
> > > Well, I was removed any GNUStep/ directory, the /etc/GNUStep/ and the
> > > $HOME/GNUStep/ and after that try to install pre-compiled (not the
> > > self-compiled) wmaker. Still it is not perfect, WPrefs can't find his
> > > icons.
>
> > hmm.. still sounds like you left something from the tarball install.
>
> > Any chance you might still be running the WPrefs that comes with the
> > tarball?
>
> No chance. I removed the hole directory of unpacked tarball, and with
> locate WPrefs I search, find and remove any WPrefs file.

ok. that should have taken care of the executable.

Keep in mind that you removed all files that _looked_ like they were
wmaker/wprefs files.  IOW, the above-method should work but it's not
100% foolproof.

> > Also, before you did the tarball install, were you running wmaker --
> > the regular sarge version.  And if so did you remove it before
> > installing the newer (0.92) version?
> >
> > If not, that would probably complicate matters further.
>
> Unfortunately I were running wmaker - the regular sarge version, before
> I did the tarball install.

As far as I can remember removing the previous version was required for
earlier versions of wmaker because of a library incompatibility.
Yeah.. don't ask .. I just did like they said and never bothered to
look into it.

In any event, I only mentioned this because it makes the scenario a bit
more complicated and increases the likelihood of something going wrong
at some point.

And when you start WPrefs.app .. You're not getting any error messages
.. something that might tell us where he is looking for his icons?

Did you try starting WPrefs from a shell prompt -- rather than clicking
on an icon..?  There might be useful messages there.

Also there may be wmaker messages on the linux console from which you
started wmaker (if you use startx). If not there is a wmaker error log
file in your home directory where you might be able to find useful info.

Lastly, did you check the permissions on the files as another poster
requested?  I forgot to mention that in my earlier posts but it's always
the first thing to check because it is a very probable cause of icons
not being displayed since the program running under your id may not be
able to open them.

> > Note, that when 0.92 was first released there were a couple of
> > issues where users complained about wmaker (not WPrefs, IIRC) not
> > finding some icons.
>
> I searched Google and find these issues, but can't find any solutions
> for my problem.
>
> > You may want to search the wmaker list's archive see if you find any
> > clues.
> >
> > If all else fails you may want to subscribe to the wmaker list and
> > someone more knowledegeable may come up with useful suggestions.
>
> I am subscribed to wm-user list, and I wrote there a mail about this
> problem, but it seems that this list is not functional, and more ower,
> the home page of the Window Maker is unreachable: according to
> http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/4050 the home page is:
> http://windowmaker.org and according to
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Window_Maker the home page is:
> http://www.windowmaker.info/ .
>
> None of them can't open. I dont know what is this?

Neither do I.  I hadn't checked out their site for some time and I
cannot access it either.

As to the wm-user list it is not very active but AFAIK it is still
functional.  The last message I received was from Aug 07.

Yet I didn't receive your message regarding this issue.

So it looks like the wmaker site has gone AWOL .. ?

Thanks

cga