Re: system-dependent variables

On Tue, Aug 15, 2006 at 01:25:49PM -0400, cga2000 wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 15, 2006 at 06:29:34AM EDT, Csanyi Pal wrote:
> > > Where to find these system-dependent variables on my Debian Sarge system?
> > >
> > > Which command does call forth these variables?
> > >
> > > With which command can these variables to change?
> >
> > I installed on Sarge a new version of wmaker with ./configure && make
> > && make install commands.
> >
> > Then, after a while I uninstall the newer wmaker but only manually: I
> > remove every file of the newer wmaker.
> >
> > After that, I install the older version of wmaker (that come with
> > Sarge), but WPrefs can't find icons.
> >
> > So, I think this is because, when use the ./configure command, then
> > configure just checks the system and assigns values for
> > system-dependent variables. So I think that these variables have been
> > changed somehow and this unmake the proper installation of the older
> > version of wmaker, isnt true?
> >
> The icon/pixmap paths are specified in files called "WindowMaker"
>
> There is a system-wide file in the /etc tree and each user of the
> system has one in his $HOME tree.
>
> Now, I _think_ that the latest version of wmaker has moved these files
> to a different location.
>
> The version that comes with sarge has them in:
>
> /etc/GNUStep/Defaults
> $HOME/GNUStep/Defaults
>
> As to the new version I don't know.
>
> I'm not sure this helps.

Well, I was removed any GNUStep/ directory, the /etc/GNUStep/ and the
$HOME/GNUStep/ and after that try to install pre-compiled (not the
self-compiled) wmaker. Still it is not perfect, WPrefs can't find his
icons.

--
Regards, Paul Csányi
http://csanyipal.info/moodle  <<<---  Moodle - Course Management System