Re: How to check ink level on HP Deskjet 5500

On Mon, Aug 14, 2006 at 11:41:53PM -0700, Marc Shapiro wrote:
> Marc Shapiro wrote:
>
> >Thanks.
> >
> OK.  I checked linuxprinting.org and it said that hplip should work and
> reminded me that the printer DOES have a USB connection.  So I
> disconnected the parallel port and connected by USB.  The output of
> dmesg shows:
>
> ohci_hcd 0000:00:03.0: wakeup
> usb 1-1: new full speed USB device using address 18
> drivers/usb/class/usblp.c: usblp0: USB Bidirectional printer dev 18 if 0
> alt 0 proto 2 vid 0x03F0 pid 0x6004
> usbcore: registered new driver usblp
> drivers/usb/class/usblp.c: v0.13: USB Printer Device Class driver
>
> so it seems to be getting recognized, but nothing prints, now.  I am
> guessing that I need to tell CUPS that the printer is now connected via
> USB, and not the parallel port.  How do I do that?  I have been looking
> through the CUPS documentation, and the output of lpinfo is:
>
> :/usr/share/doc/cupsys/online-docs# lpinfo -v
> network socket
> direct hp:/usb/deskjet_5550?serial=MY27V1K2BY2L
> network http
> network ipp
> network lpd
> direct parallel:/dev/lp0
> direct usb://hp/deskjet%205550?serial=MY27V1K2BY2L
> direct usb:/dev/usb/lp1
> direct usb:/dev/usb/lp2
> direct usb:/dev/usb/lp3
> direct usb:/dev/usb/lp4
> direct usb:/dev/usb/lp5
> direct usb:/dev/usb/lp6
> direct usb:/dev/usb/lp7
> direct usb:/dev/usb/lp8
> direct usb:/dev/usb/lp9
> direct usb:/dev/usb/lp10
> direct usb:/dev/usb/lp11
> direct usb:/dev/usb/lp12
> direct usb:/dev/usb/lp13
> direct usb:/dev/usb/lp14
> direct usb:/dev/usb/lp15
>
> This tells me where the printer is, but I still do not know how to tell
> CUPS where it is.  Do I put the full URI:
> 'hp:/usb/deskjet_5550?serial=MY27V1K2BY2L' into the location under
> 'Modify Printer'?

yup. afaik. the online documentation of hplip is pretty good and walks
you through the process easily. That said, I do all my conf. through
http://localhost:631 (cups web interface). Set up a new printer,
follow the instructions and it should be working out of the box. at
least it does in sid at the moment. it was painless.