Re: Using udev as-is and device URI

T wrote:

Hi

I know that udev has the advantage that allowing people to write their own
rules for mounting the devices. But can I just use the udev as-is? Does
udev fully backward compatible with traditional /dev directory?

I have a Epson Stylus CX1500, which has been working fine. I used to check
the ink level with the command:

 $ escputil --ink-level --new --raw-device /dev/usb/lp0

But now, having upgraded from Sarge to Etch, the command does not work any
more. Is it because of udev or the escputil itself? Now when the command is
issued, the printer reacted with some noise then tried to print something,
then stopped. The escputil just hangs there.
Hi. :-) I have an Epson Stylus C82 (also connected via USB). On my etch system, the escputil command above works exactly as you have it without any problems:

jose@sweety:~$ escputil --ink-level --new --raw-device /dev/usb/lp0
Escputil version 5.0.0-rc3, Copyright (C) 2000-2006 Robert Krawitz
Escputil comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; for details type 'escputil -l'
under certain conditions; type 'escputil -l' for details.

        Ink color       Percent remaining
            Black                      82
             Cyan                       6
          Magenta                      10
           Yellow                      26
jose@sweety:~$

Moreover, how does the device URI work?

To be specific, after upgrading from Sarge to Etch, I configured my CUPS the
Sarge way, and it works great. Then I found that there is an auto-detected
printer, so I give it a try too. However, no matter how I tweak it, it just
refuses to work. The following list is the 2 CUPS printer in my system. The
1st works, the 2nd doesn't. The only difference that I can tell now is the device URI.
I also used the auto-detection function when configuring my printer. Here's what CUPS (http://localhost:631) says:

*
*Location:*
*Make and Model:* Epson Stylus C82 - CUPS+Gutenprint v5.0.0-rc3
*Printer State:* idle, accepting jobs, published.
*Device URI:* usb://EPSON/Stylus%20C82

What's really interesting is that though the printer has a device URI, it can also be accessed via /dev/usb/lp0.

Please help

thanks

epson_cx1500:

Location: USB Printer #1
Make and Model: Epson Stylus CX1500 - CUPS+Gutenprint v5.0.0-rc3
Printer State: idle, accepting jobs, published.
Device URI: usb://EPSON/Stylus%20CX1500

USB_Printer_1:

Location: Local Printer
Make and Model: Epson Stylus CX1500 - CUPS+Gutenprint v5.0.0-rc3
Printer State: idle, accepting jobs, published.
Device URI: epson:/dev/usb/lp0
A couple of things that I've noticed on my system that may be helpful to you (I'm sure you probably know some of them, but anyways!): :)

1) The device files (I found one at /dev/usb/lp0 and another at /dev/bus/usb/001/002) disappear when the printer is turned off (They reappear when the printer is turned on, however, the one at /dev/bus/usb/001/ reappears as a different name eg. /dev/bus/usb/001/003)

2) I've found that if a user is not in the lp group, he/she cannot access the printer (directly through escputil or otherwise)

3) If the printer is off, the device files are not present (at least on my system).

I'm no expert on device URI's but I've found that the hal-device-manager command (found in the similar named package) is quite useful.

I'm sure I haven't answered your questions, but I hope some of this info helps.

Take care.

Sincerely
Jose