How to check ink level on HP Deskjet 5500 (was: Re: Using udev as-is and device URI)

José Alburquerque wrote:

Hi. :-) I have an Epson Stylus C82 (also connected via USB). On my etch system, the escputil command above works exactly as you have it without any problems:

jose@sweety:~$ escputil --ink-level --new --raw-device /dev/usb/lp0
Escputil version 5.0.0-rc3, Copyright (C) 2000-2006 Robert Krawitz
Escputil comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; for details type 'escputil -l'
under certain conditions; type 'escputil -l' for details.

        Ink color       Percent remaining
            Black                      82
             Cyan                       6
          Magenta                      10
           Yellow                      26
jose@sweety:~$

Is there a utility to check ink levels on HP Deskjet series printers? I looked through the djtools manpage, and, while there is some interesting stuff there, I do not see this. It seems that djtools is good for setting parameters for the printer, but not for getting information back. Since it is best not to actually let an ink cartridge get completely empty before refilling it, being able to check the ink level would be a really handy thing.

--
Marc Shapiro

No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There's always a boom tomorrow.
What?! Look, somebody's got to have some damn perspective around here.
Boom. Sooner or later ... boom!

- Susan Ivanova: B5 - Grail