Re: How to check ink level on HP Deskjet 5500

Andrew Sackville-West wrote:

On Mon, Aug 14, 2006 at 03:13:46PM -0700, Marc Shapiro wrote:
Is there a utility to check ink levels on HP Deskjet series printers? I looked through the djtools manpage, and, while there is some interesting stuff there, I do not see this. It seems that djtools is good for setting parameters for the printer, but not for getting information back. Since it is best not to actually let an ink cartridge get completely empty before refilling it, being able to check the ink level would be a really handy thing.

If the printer is supported by hplip, then the hplip toolbox would
probably provide this. there is a gui frontend that works alright and
there are probably command line options too. not at my desk to provide
more relevant input.

Also, I found a neat gui utility for ink and such things for epson printers called mtink by looking for my printer on linuxprinting.org. If something exists for your printer, you'll most probably find information for it there also.