Re: How to check ink level on HP Deskjet 5500 (was: Re: Using udev as-is and device URI)

On Mon, Aug 14, 2006 at 03:13:46PM -0700, Marc Shapiro wrote:
> José Alburquerque wrote:
>
> >Hi. :-) I have an Epson Stylus C82 (also connected via USB).  On my
> >etch system, the escputil command above works exactly as you have it
> >without any problems:
> >
> >jose@sweety:~$ escputil --ink-level --new --raw-device /dev/usb/lp0
> >Escputil version 5.0.0-rc3, Copyright (C) 2000-2006 Robert Krawitz
> >Escputil comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; for details type 'escputil
> >-l'
> >This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
> >under certain conditions; type 'escputil -l' for details.
> >
> >        Ink color       Percent remaining
> >            Black                      82
> >             Cyan                       6
> >          Magenta                      10
> >           Yellow                      26
> >jose@sweety:~$
>
> Is there a utility to check ink levels on HP Deskjet series printers?  I
> looked through the djtools manpage, and, while there is some interesting
> stuff there, I do not see this.  It seems that djtools is good for
> setting parameters for the printer, but not for getting information
> back.  Since it is best not to actually let an ink cartridge get
> completely empty before refilling it, being able to check the ink level
> would be a really handy thing.

If the printer is supported by hplip, then the hplip toolbox would
probably provide this. there is a gui frontend that works alright and
there are probably command line options too. not at my desk to provide
more relevant input.