Re: Highlighting and annotating PDFs?

Le lundi 14 août 2006 à 13:38 +0100, George Borisov a écrit :
> George Borisov wrote:
> > Thibaut Paumard wrote:
> >> Fortunately, this statement is as false as can be. Under GNU/Linux, the
> >> easy way of creating a PDF from whatever is to print to PS and then run
> >> ps2pdf on the output. The resulting PDF is of good quality, searchable,
> >> and often smaller than the input PS.
> >
> > I am very happy to be proven wrong, in this case.
>
> Maybe not. :-(
>
> Just tried to print some text from Firefox to PS and then use ps2pdf.
>
> The resulting file is _not_ searchable (xpdf and evince,) and at
> 28K is more than twice the size of the same text being printed
> through Acrobat (12K)

Hmmm... I assumed too much.

These give searchable PDFs:
  - plain text: a2ps+ps2pdf;
  - LaTeX file:
                - pdflatex;
                - latex+dvips+ps2pdf;
  - "Export PDF" from oowriter.

These don't:
  - print from oowriter, then ps2pdf;
  - scribus (1.3.2) export PDF.

However, in these two tests, the text is copy-and-pastable, as text. So
the problem is not that the PDF is drawn as images. Actually, in the
scribus PDF, I can search a few smaller substrings (like "xt" in my
sample text "test text").

Things actually aren't black or white, they're rather greyish.

T.