RE: Open Source Supported Graphics Cards

On Tuesday, August 08, 2006 6:43 PM -0500, Paul Johnson wrote:

> On Tuesday 08 August 2006 10:38, Seth Goodman wrote:
> > Since the end-users we need to interest, if we are ever to break
> > out of the expert niche, will run X and use GUI's for everything,
> > being limited to low-end 2D performance will be an ongoing
> > problem.
>
> I thought the niche Debian was trying to fill was rock solid
> stability and reliability in a 100% free software format.  If I'm
> confused, let me know.

<OT discussion>

That's a reasonable goal, even a good goal, if you are willing to remain
a small, exclusive club.  If you believe that people who use Debian need
to be comfortable with the command line, consider natural language as a
second language behind PERL and be fluent in regexp's, then it will
remain a terrific operating system for the few.  Maybe this is what most
people in Debian want.  I'm relatively new here, so if that's the case,
please educate me.

However, if you have a desire to bring quality, free software to a wider
audience, you're not likely to get there with the present vision.  For
the majority of casual computer users, who are hostage to a certain evil
corporation, the GUI is not just a convenience to be used after fully
mastering command line operation.  It is the _only_ way they are
comfortable interacting with an operating system.  If it can't be done
through the GUI, it won't get done.  Reading non-hyperlinked manuals and
realizing that -a is different from -A, no less remembering which is
which, is simply not in the cards for these folks.

We presently _require_ people who use Debian to do this, or they are
effectively hamstrung once it's installed.  The software is free, if you
are willing to devote a significant portion of your waking hours to
learning the intricacies of an admittedly arcane system.  Anyone is free
to do that.  That's fine if you're technically inclined.  If not, you
will find it very frustrating and consider it a waste of your time.
People are generally loathe to do things they consider a waste of time,
even if they have very little money, yet that's our price.

Why do we require this?  It's not for technical reasons, but because we
believe it is _better_ for them as computer users.  That might be true
if we were mentoring young people studying computer science or
electrical engineering.  For non-technical users, it is an artificial
barrier to entry into the world of open-source.  And it's exactly that
attitude, unless modified, that will keep Debian a great tool for a
small group of sophisticated users, and unusable for everyone else.

</OT discussion>

--
Seth Goodman