Re: debian

hendrik@topoi.pooq.com:
> On Fri, Aug 11, 2006 at 12:34:35PM +0200, Jochen Schulz wrote:
> >
> > - The exact architecture of the computer you are planning to use with
> >   Debian. If you are not sure what "architecture" means, you most
> >   probably want the "i386" images (which means you have a standard
> >   computer, probably running Windows currently).
>
> Intel does manufacture a number of incompatible CPUs.

Sure, but if the OP doesn't know his architecture, chances are good that
he is using a standard IBM compatible PC and not some Itanium system or
anything else. But who knows.

> Using the small-installer aalso gives you nearly immediate feedback
> whether you really have chosen the one that works with your CPU.  If it
> boots, you got it right.  And you haven't wasted time downloading 15 or
> so CDs for the wrong machine.

Agreed. Downloading more than one or two CDs is a waste in most cases
anyway.

J.
--
In an ideal world I would cure poverty and go to the gym at least three
days a week.