From: hendrik@topoi.pooq.com [mailto:hendrik@topoi.pooq.com]
Sent: Friday, August 11, 2006 11:24 AM
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: debian

On Fri, Aug 11, 2006 at 12:34:35PM +0200, Jochen Schulz wrote:
> Bharath Suresh:
> >
> >     i want to download debian from your site for a intel
> > machine.there are about 10 files in ur site for intel.can u please
> > help me with what files to download debian for my machine.
>
> What you have to download depends on two factors:
>
> - The exact architecture of the computer you are planning to use with
>   Debian. If you are not sure what "architecture" means, you most
>   probably want the "i386" images (which means you have a standard
>   computer, probably running Windows currently).

Intel does manufacture a number of incompatible CPUs.

> - Whether you want to download a huge image now and install most of
the
>   packages from CD *or* you want to quickly download a small installer
>   which gives you the opportunity to download everything you need via
>   internet. The latter images are the "netinst" or "businesscard" CD
>   images. If you will not have a (fast) internet connection when
>   installing Debian, you should choose the former.

Using the small-installer aalso gives you nearly immediate feedback
whether you really have chosen the one that works with your CPU.  If it
boots, you got it right.  And you haven't wasted time downloading 15 or
so CDs for the wrong machine.

-- hendrik