Re: Stuck with dpkg: can neither remove nor reinstall a package

Carl Fink wrote:
On Sat, Jul 29, 2006 at 05:57:01PM -0400, Nick Lidakis wrote:

dpkg: warning - old post-removal script returned error exit status 1
dpkg - trying script from the new package instead ...

Aha!

and when trying to remove:
dpkg: error processing gtkwifi (--purge):
Package is in a very bad inconsistent state - you should
reinstall it before attempting a removal.
gtkwifi

Take its advice.  Find the old package and reinstall that (without
removing), then purge it, then install the new.
There was no old package. The .deb was downloaded (Sourceforge?) from a site to be used with Debian Sid, which I am running. Something happened when I tried to install it; can't remember the original error message.

So that is why I'm stuck. I can't reinstall the gtkwifi.deb that I have in my home directory in order to complete its removal.

Any other suggestions?

Nick