Re: Stuck with dpkg: can neither remove nor reinstall a package

Carl Fink wrote:
On Sat, Jul 29, 2006 at 05:07:20PM -0400, Nick Lidakis wrote:
Something went terribly wrong while trying to install a debain package called gtkwifi. Now I'm unable to reinstall the package or force its removal. And using apt-get -f install has not worked either. When trying to reinstall via dpk it keeps complaining: "The package gtkwifi needs to be reinstalled, but I can't find an archive for it. The deb is in my home directory. Using the --force-all option (for reinstall and removal) didn't help either.

What's the full command line and exact message you get?

With dpkg, you have to specify the location of the package, something like

	dpkg -i /home/nick/gtkwiki.deb
when trying to install:

thinkpad:/home/nick# dpkg -i  /home/nick/gtkwifi-1.09.deb
(Reading database ... 77112 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace gtkwifi 1.09 (using /home/nick/gtkwifi- 1.09.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement gtkwifi ...
dpkg: warning - old post-removal script returned error exit status 1
dpkg - trying script from the new package instead ...
dpkg: error processing /home/nick/gtkwifi- 1.09.deb (--install):
subprocess new post-removal script returned error exit status 1
dpkg: error while cleaning up:
subprocess post-removal script returned error exit status 1
/home/nick/gtkwifi-1.09.deb
thinkpad:/home/nick#

and when trying to remove:
dpkg: error processing gtkwifi (--purge):
Package is in a very bad inconsistent state - you should
reinstall it before attempting a removal.
gtkwifi
thinkpad:/home/nick#