Re: Stuck with dpkg: can neither remove nor reinstall a package

On Sunday 30 July 2006 00:17, Nick Lidakis wrote:

> There was no old package. The .deb was downloaded (Sourceforge?) from a
> site to be used with Debian Sid, which I am running. Something happened
> when I tried to install it; can't remember the original error message.
>
> So that is why I'm stuck. I can't reinstall the gtkwifi.deb that I have
> in my home directory in order to complete its removal.
>
> Any other suggestions?

You might try making a package with the same name, using the equivs package.
There are sample control files with the equivs package.  I have done this when
I had the same sort of problem you are experiencing and it usually worked.
The package will be a fake package but it should overwrite the broken one,
then you can remove the fake package.