Re: xorg 7, radeon mobility m6 and dri

When I do 'glxinfo | grep rendering' in sarge and sid, it says direct rendering is not enabled.

In sid, doing glxgears results in very slowy and choppily turning wheels and no fps gets reported. This is not the case with sarge -- I get some 150 fps there and the wheels spin like crazy. On both sid and sarge, the cpu spikes when glxgears is run.

Here is the conf and log from the sid 16 bit session.

Again -- thanks so much for taking time with this!

/landhaj

CJ van den Berg <cj@vdbonline.com> wrote:
On Fri, Jul 28, 2006 at 03:44:42AM -0700, Land Haj wrote:
> If one is to believe top's over-all cpu report, sid and sarge are equal
> when I run at 16 bit, but if one is to believe the info on single
> processes, sarge is still very much lower.

It sounds like the process accounting in the new sid kernel is a bit more
accurate. I would tend to believe sid more than sarge in this respect.

> All this is without dri though. Changing to 16 bit in sid doesn't make dri
> work, and I don't have it working in sarge either. I am attaching log and
> config from sarge. (The config is a sax generated one that I grapped from
> the net and that I never bothered to alter as it seemed to work well
> enough except for dri.)

Your sarge X log file says that DRI is working. It may be lying though.
Again, I would believe sid more than sarge in this respect too. What I need
to help fix the DRI problem in sid though is your X log of a 16 bit X
session in sid. Although I expect the problem to be the same as in 24 bit
mode (ie. not enough video memory).

> How much cpu load is normal when playing a movie using xine? My processor
> is a 1GHz p3.

That depends on (at least) three things, the X server, the media player and
the movie file format and resolutions. So any kind of blanket statement
is impossible to make.

--
CJ van den Berg

mailto:cj@vdbonline.com