Re: xorg 7, radeon mobility m6 and dri

On Fri, Jul 28, 2006 at 04:51:25 -0700, Land Haj wrote:
> When I do 'glxinfo | grep rendering' in sarge and sid, it says direct
> rendering is not enabled.
>
> In sid, doing glxgears results in very slowy and choppily turning
> wheels and no fps gets reported. This is not the case with sarge -- I
> get some 150 fps there and the wheels spin like crazy. On both sid and
> sarge, the cpu spikes when glxgears is run.

The version of glxgears in Sid does not display the frames-per-second
output by default. Sarge had a forked version of glxgears, but Sid has
now again the "original" one which is less nice and also lacks a
manpage. If you want to see the FPS display on Sid, you have to run

glxgears -printfps

As far as your general problem is concerned: I would guess that the high
CPU load is a symptom of lacking graphics hardware acceleration, be that
DRI or something else. I don't have an ATI card myself, therefore I
can't give you any details, but I remember that several people on this
list had trouble with hardware acceleration recently, and in some cases
it helped to use the DRI packages from the experimental branch or the
newest upstream version (dri.freedesktop.org).

--
Regards,
          Florian