Re: xorg 7, radeon mobility m6 and dri

On Fri, Jul 28, 2006 at 03:44:42AM -0700, Land Haj wrote:
> If one is to believe top's over-all cpu report, sid and sarge are equal
> when I run at 16 bit, but if one is to believe the info on single
> processes, sarge is still very much lower.

It sounds like the process accounting in the new sid kernel is a bit more
accurate. I would tend to believe sid more than sarge in this respect.

> All this is without dri though. Changing to 16 bit in sid doesn't make dri
> work, and I don't have it working in sarge either. I am attaching log and
> config from sarge. (The config is a sax generated one that I grapped from
> the net and that I never bothered to alter as it seemed to work well
> enough except for dri.)

Your sarge X log file says that DRI is working. It may be lying though.
Again, I would believe sid more than sarge in this respect too. What I need
to help fix the DRI problem in sid though is your X log of a 16 bit X
session in sid. Although I expect the problem to be the same as in 24 bit
mode (ie. not enough video memory).

> How much cpu load is normal when playing a movie using xine? My processor
> is a 1GHz p3.

That depends on (at least) three things, the X server, the media player and
the movie file format and resolutions. So any kind of blanket statement
is impossible to make.

--
CJ van den Berg

mailto:cj@vdbonline.com