SOLVED: Mitsumi CR-4802TE on 440LX motherboard

Hi, after wondering for ages why I had problems with a Mitsumi CR-4802TE CD-RW drive not working reliably on a machine with a BIOSTAR M6TLC motherboard (Intel 440LX chipset, 266 MHz PII, 256 MiB RAM, running Sid with 2.6.17 kernel compiled for Pentium II at present) with the IDE interface speed automatically being detected as "Mode 3" for the CD-RW drive in the BIOS. I recently set:

/dev/hdc {
        dma = off
}

in /etc/hdparm.conf and was able to burn a CD-R successfully for the first time.

I have since changed the entry to:

/dev/hdc {
        io32_support = 3
        dma = off
}

but haven't tried writing a CD using this setting. Playback of an audio CD seems to work fine with this setting.

Is there a Linux hardware compatibility database that could give any clues on what settings to use for a given combination of IDE chipset and drive?

Arthur.