Re: Jabber network vs. multi-protocol IM clients

Paul Johnson wrote:
> Kopete won't let you do service discovery,

Not true with 0.12.

> GAIM's just plain annoying (why does it open new windows for what should
> be an ignored line in STDERR?) and doesn't have service discovery

I said politely that "it is not that strict about Jabber standards" ;-)

> If you  want Jabber, get a real Jabber client, use the transports to deal
> with the obsolete networks instead.

Two problems:

a) embedding into KDE (connections with KAddressBook, KMail, etc.) -- I can
understand that somebody dislikes kopete just because of that, but not me.
Cool 100% Jabber KDE client would be nice, but there isn't such thing (yes,
I know about psi).
b) IRC over Jabber (irc.netlab.cz among many others) kind of stinks -- you
can use it if necessary, but even kopete client is much better than that.

Matěj

http://www.ceplovi.cz/matej/blog/, Jabber: ceplma@jabber.cz
23 Marion St. #3, (617) 876-1259, ICQ 132822213

I've had a perfectly wonderful evening. But this wasn't it.
      -- Groucho Marx