Re: Removing USB memory

On Mon, Jul 17, 2006 at 15:37:37 -0600, John W. M. Stevens wrote:
[..]
>If pmount and pumount are handling the actual mount and unmount
>operations for you, then you could try manually mounting and unmounting
>your devices from a virtual terminal (no gnome running), and see if the
>behaviour is different.
>
>If the behaviour *is* different (if pmount does properly wait for sync
>to complete before it returns), then you almost certainly have a
>configuration issue.  If not, then you might be looking at either a
>kernel/pmount mismatch issue, or more likely, a bug.

I'm quoting from my original email:

 I've noticed that if I right-click a USB memory stick icon on the
 desktop and choose "Unmount Volume" the icon disappears immediately.
 However the device may be busy in the background, and if I remove the
 stick too early files copied to the stick may not "have arrived yet"
 (the sync isn't done yet).

So, there's no problem with pumount, it does its thing. The problem is
that there is no feedback to me, the user, of when it's done since the
icon disappears immediately.

>Try logging out of any gnome sessions, then make doubly sure that no
>gnome daemons are running, then switch to a virtual terminal, login,
>and try pmount, write large file, pumount, and see what happens.
>
>That gets any Gnome config out of the way.

As you see, GNOME _is_ the problem, getting it out of the way won't
solve anything :-)

/M

magnus@therning.org             Jabber: magnus.therning@gmail.com
http://therning.org/magnus

by patent law on written works.

I have steadily endeavored to keep my mind free, so as to give up any
hypothesis, however much beloved -- and I cannot resist forming one
on every subject -- as soon as facts are shown to be opposed to it.
     -- Charles Darwin (1809-1882)