Removing USB memory

I'm running a GNOME desktop on a Debian Sid system.

I've noticed that if I right-click a USB memory stick icon on the
desktop and choose "Unmount Volume" the icon disappears immediately.
However the device may be busy in the background, and if I remove the
stick too early files copied to the stick may not "have arrived yet"
(the sync isn't done yet).

I've found two ways around it:

 1. Unmount in a shell using `pumount'.
 2. Keep a system monitor in the panel and have it show disk activity.

Is there any other way?
I'd kind of like a brief notification at the end informing me that the
device is fully unmounted.

/M

magnus@therning.org             Jabber: magnus.therning@gmail.com
http://therning.org/magnus