Re: debian-user: Firewire?

Chuckk Hubbard wrote:

>> Well, that's iffy.  On a good day, Fast Ethernet can reach 9MBps
>> (100Mbps / 8 = 12.5MBps * 72% = 9MBps) but 1394a is 400Mbps (which
>> also given 72% efficiency would give you 36MBps).
>>
>> So, if you *need* 36MBps, 1394a might be the way to go, even though
>> it's more expensive.
>>
>> OTOH, Gigabit Ethernet is built into most modern PCs, and cheap GiB
>> switches can be had at NewEgg for $30, and 25', 50' & 100' lengths
>> of Cat 5e cable are only $5.
>>
>> Also, Ethernet is much more flexible.  Once you network both
>> computers together, they can share an outbound internet connection
>> via a router and cable/DSL modem.
>
> Ah, expensive in terms of CPU- I hadn't thought of that.  I might
> invest in a hub, but it'll have to wait till my financial aid goes

*Never* buy a hub.  Only buy switches.

> through, I'm kinda strapped.  Also, what I was saying about ethernet
> is that each comp only has one port.  So even if I had a router, I'd
> need an extra port for each machine if I wanted to connect the LAN and
> internet at the same time.  Or I could buy one 2-port card and put
> both of the other ports on one box.  So I'm buying a hub, a router,
> and a PCI card.

Definitely not true.  Each machine needs only *one* Ethernet jack.

A multi-port router has a (4 or 5 port) switch built into it so that
you access the internet *and* the other machine over the same wire.

Plug your cable modem  and Macs into this one unit, and then they'll
all see each other.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833127013

>                 As for Gigabit, I'd love to use it, but one comp is a
> G3 from around 99 and the other is from 2003.  I don't think either
> one has it, so that's even more investment.  Plus I read that Gigabit
> can't really be utilized without dual processors, don't know how true
> it is.

Well, it was an idea...

- --
Ron Johnson, Jr.