Re: debian-user: Firewire?

On Thu, Jul 13, 2006 at 12:54:39PM -0400, Chuckk Hubbard wrote:
> On 7/13/06, Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> wrote:
> >
> >Chuckk Hubbard wrote:
> >> So do I understand correctly, that FireWire support in Linux comes
> >> only with compiling the kernel with specific add-ons?  Can someone
> >> with no desire to program use FireWire?
> >
> >So you think/say that *everyone* who wants to use Firewire
> >peripherals must program their own drivers?
> >
> >This is a troll, right?
>
> A non-programmer.
> I read that IP-over-FireWire can only be done in Linux by recompiling
> the kernel.  Maybe this was wrong.

What work has to be done depends on whether your dist. has it compiled
in for the stock kernels.  Apparently Debian's have it.

I am a non-programmer (OK, OK, APL in high-school, main frame 360 out
of William and Mary...).  Pure hobbyist at the OS level.  I always roll
my own kernel.  No programming involved, but it does require that you
learn a chunk about your box's innards.

Not hard to do, but requires patience and some time.  Kernel-package
makes the installation easy.  For myself, grub is automatically
updated, so the working older kernel is normally kept as a backup (as
long as it's a version change, at least, like 2.6.15 to 2.6.16) in case
what I've created turns into a monster on bootup.

It's not a bad idea to have a rescue partition set up on an unused Gb
chunk on your HD as well, along with a grub rescue floppy (CD?).

There must be at least a few hundred primers out there on doing this.

Try it sometime.  :)

Kenward
--
In a completely rational society, the best of us would aspire to be
_teachers_ and the rest of us would have to settle for something less,