Re: Shutdown my Laptop? Why should I?

On Sun, 2006-07-16 at 02:06 +0300, Micha Feigin wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Jul 2006 22:51:03 -0500 Jay C Vollmer wrote:
> > On Thursday 13 July 2006 21:24, Carl Fink wrote:
> > > I'm not an electrochemist, but modern Li-ion batteries don't develop
> > > memory, they just lose capacity each time they're charged.
> >
> > Isn't what you're describing 'memory?'
> >
> The end effect may be similar in terms of degraded performance, but the
> chemical point of view is different.
>
> I don't remember the specifics, but IIRC NiCad develop a 'memory' in that the
> material 'remembers' it's charged state and won't discharge. It is recommended
> to completely discharge these batteries on occasion to avoid this.
>
> Li-ion don't have this effect, but on the other hand they don't like to be
> completely discharged. The problem is that they have several cells, and some
> discharge faster then others. When some of the cells completely discharge and
> others haven't yet, an effect of back-flow occurs which burns out those cells.

Well, well.  I have always tried to completely discharge the battery in
my laptop before charging it; maybe I shouldn't.

> There is another problem with all batteries, (a problem of the charging
> circuits actually) that if they are charged too fast they will over heat which
> damages them. The second problem is that none of the batteries like to be over
> charged, something which usually isn't handled properly either usually.
>
> The integrated circuits may get out of sync with the battery (usually when the
> battery degrades with age and the circuit isn't calibrated any more, which
> causes false information, but doesn't effect performance). It is sometimes
> recommended to discharge the battery completely when that happens to recalibrate
> it, but isn't recommended on a regular basis with Li-ions.

My laptop's lithium ion had no clue what the percentage was.  It would
stay between 100 and 50 percent most of the time, then drop suddenly to
0.

I read in a Popular Science magazine that freezing a battery may help.
I had little to lose as this battery was getting very bad, so I tried
it.  ...It didn't work.  Now the battery will charge, but seems to reset
every ten seconds or so; it flashes full and then goes back to <10%.  It
holds absolutely no charge.

It is unfortunate that lithium ion batteries cost so much.  To replace
this one costs more than what I gave for the laptop.