Re: Shutdown my Laptop? Why should I?

On Mon, 17 Jul 2006 12:57:01 -0500
Owen Heisler <owenh000@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 2006-07-16 at 02:06 +0300, Micha Feigin wrote:
> > >
> > > Isn't what you're describing 'memory?'
> > >
> > The end effect may be similar in terms of degraded performance, but the
> > chemical point of view is different.
> >
> > I don't remember the specifics, but IIRC NiCad develop a 'memory' in that
> > the material 'remembers' it's charged state and won't discharge. It is
> > recommended to completely discharge these batteries on occasion to avoid
> > this.
> >
> > Li-ion don't have this effect, but on the other hand they don't like to be
> > completely discharged. The problem is that they have several cells, and some
> > discharge faster then others. When some of the cells completely discharge
> > and others haven't yet, an effect of back-flow occurs which burns out those
> > cells.
>
> Well, well.  I have always tried to completely discharge the battery in
> my laptop before charging it; maybe I shouldn't.
>
> > There is another problem with all batteries, (a problem of the charging
> > circuits actually) that if they are charged too fast they will over heat
> > which damages them. The second problem is that none of the batteries like
> > to be over charged, something which usually isn't handled properly either
> > usually.
> >
> > The integrated circuits may get out of sync with the battery (usually when
> > the battery degrades with age and the circuit isn't calibrated any more,
> > which causes false information, but doesn't effect performance). It is
> > sometimes recommended to discharge the battery completely when that happens
> > to recalibrate it, but isn't recommended on a regular basis with Li-ions.
>
> My laptop's lithium ion had no clue what the percentage was.  It would
> stay between 100 and 50 percent most of the time, then drop suddenly to
> 0.
>
> I read in a Popular Science magazine that freezing a battery may help.
> I had little to lose as this battery was getting very bad, so I tried
> it.  ...It didn't work.  Now the battery will charge, but seems to reset
> every ten seconds or so; it flashes full and then goes back to <10%.  It
> holds absolutely no charge.
>
> It is unfortunate that lithium ion batteries cost so much.  To replace
> this one costs more than what I gave for the laptop.

Try looking for batteries on ebay. I got an oem replacement from china for 65$
including shipping (took about 10 days). Locally they cost about 200$. The old
one was lasting about 40 minutes this one goes for over 4 hours (i rarely go
below 50% actually). It also claims to store more juice then it's rated for.
Don't know if that value is true though.