Re: Shutdown my Laptop? Why should I?

On Fri, Jul 14, 2006 at 09:32:28AM +1000, Charlie wrote:

> My current Acer laptop, 2 years old. Has the company suggest that a 500 charge
> life cycle is usual, but could vary. It doesn't suggest that the battery will
> continue to deliver the same amount of battery time throughout that cycle
> though. If it doesn't supply that power over the life of the battery, it must
> be developing a memory, or degrading? Whatever term you wish to use, I
> reckon.

I'm not an electrochemist, but modern Li-ion batteries don't develop memory,
they just lose capacity each time they're charged.  By keeping the battery
plugged in (never discharging it) you extend, not shorten, the life.
--
Carl Fink                                   carl@finknetwork.com
   "Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your