Re: diagnosing hard-locks [was memtest+ won't load]

On Fri, Jul 07, 2006 at 02:46:08PM -0400, Michael Marsh wrote:
> On 7/7/06, Andrew Sackville-West <andrew@farwestbilliards.com> wrote:
> >On Fri, Jul 07, 2006 at 02:24:12PM -0400, Michael Marsh wrote:
> >> I'm *always* swapping on my laptop (which sounds really bad out of
> >> context), since my 256MB of RAM is taken up almost entirely by firefox
> >> and thunderbird.  And that's before loading any pages.  Once I
> >> resurrect the thing I'll pick up a SODIMM to boost the physical RAM,
> >> which should also make it peppier.
> >
> >definitely. what environment are you running in? my desktop using 256
> >megs rarely swaps. my usual setup is firefox, gnucash and mutt always
> >running. When I pull up openoffice I'll start swapping, but not always.
> >all this run
> >under xfce, which seems pretty lightweight. I'd guess you're using
> >gnome or kde? or is tbird really that big? regardless, you might find
> >a lighterweight desktop is helpful on that laptop.
>
> fvwm, with firefox, thunderbird, and a handful of xterms.  Firefox
> starts up wanting about 120MB, thunderbird about 110MB, as I recall.

okay, that makes sense then. I stopped using tbird awhile ago and
switched to mutt (with others inbetween), not realising how much of a
boost I was getting from that change. It happened along with some
other changes that contributed to my system continuing to be more
responsive.