diagnosing hard-locks [was memtest+ won't load]

On Fri, Jul 07, 2006 at 11:08:00AM +0200, Dominique Dumont wrote:
> Andrew Sackville-West <andrew@farwestbilliards.com> writes:
>
> > now on to finding the source of my hard locks. ugh./
>
> Be sure to check the temperature of your CPU. (been there)

yeah, another good idea. unfortunately, that's a no go either. I'm
running at a pretty steady 132 F/ 56 C right now with it climbing to
about 140F, but no more when I'm pushing it. Also, it seems more
common when I'm NOT working. Also, doesn't crop up when I leave some
crunching job running overnight (like a big transcode job or something).

I ran memtest all night with no problems at all. Also ran stesscpu for
a while with no probs. I'm beginning to think, as i crawl through my
memory, that it might be related to some acpi stuff I was fooling
with. we'll see.

These locks are particularly frustrating as they leave no trace in the
logs. the logs just stop until they come up from the reboot. I've seen
it happen while I'm working maybe two or three times... just lock
right up and be totally gone. screen looks fine, nothing responds, no
ssh, no response to keyboard (capslock/numlock frozen) etc. Sometimes
even the restart button on the box won't work and I'll have to force a
shutdown with the 4-second power button press. So I have no doubts
that its locking up tight. This is part of why I think it might be
related to that acpi stuff as it seems to happen a lot when I'm NOT
working at it. perhaps the bios is trying to suspend something and it
causes a problem?

weee