Re: diagnosing hard-locks [was memtest+ won't load]

On Fri, Jul 07, 2006 at 01:36:52PM -0400, Michael Marsh wrote:
> On 7/7/06, Andrew Sackville-West <andrew@farwestbilliards.com> wrote:
> >These locks are particularly frustrating as they leave no trace in the
> >logs. the logs just stop until they come up from the reboot. I've seen
> >it happen while I'm working maybe two or three times... just lock
> >right up and be totally gone. screen looks fine, nothing responds, no
> >ssh, no response to keyboard (capslock/numlock frozen) etc. Sometimes
> >even the restart button on the box won't work and I'll have to force a
> >shutdown with the 4-second power button press. So I have no doubts
> >that its locking up tight. This is part of why I think it might be
> >related to that acpi stuff as it seems to happen a lot when I'm NOT
> >working at it. perhaps the bios is trying to suspend something and it
> >causes a problem?
>
> I actually had a suspiciously similar problem recently.  A couple of
> times, everything just froze.  The power button was the only thing
> that would respond.  memtest86+ showed no problems.  I figured it
> might be a bad block in swap, so I ran the START self-diagnostics on
> the drive.  The only effect that had was to do something bad to the
> drive R/W head, reminding me that I really should be doing backups.

so IOW, don't do that? ;)

I haven't been using start much, but it looks pretty okay to my
untrained eyes. The disks are old though. but again, it doesn't happen
in situations where i'd be swapping. blah. its frustrating. and
unpredictable which is probably the worst part.