Re: Debian stable & SATA drive

Owen Heisler wrote:
On Sat, 2006-06-10 at 14:19 -0700, Michael M. wrote:
Owen Heisler wrote:
This doesn't really answer my question; maybe you misunderstood (didn't
understand my babbling).  I just want to know how long it will be
(date/release/revision) until Debian stable will work with the SATA in
my system.  As you can see above, the testing-amd64-netinst image worked
for me.  I am guessing that, since this image is "Etch", that it will be
after Etch is released that "Debian stable" will work for me (because it
will be Etch, then).  If that is true, is there any answer to when Etch
will be released?  Is it "any time now", as I have seen mentioned here
or, like I said before, 2-3 years after the previous release (after June
2007)?
Debian Etch is scheduled for release on or about the first week of December, 2006, according to the most recent schedule I've seen. The kernel and toolchain freeze is supposed to go into effect at the end of July; the base freeze in August, and the general freeze in mid-October.

It's anyone's guess whether it will all play out this way, but the developers are committed to doing everything possible to make it happen, after the disastrous delay releasing Sarge. See Ian Murdock's blog post of May 08:

http://ianmurdock.com/?p=329

Thanks; this is precisely what I wanted.  Why is this (tentative)
schedule not on the main Debian.org site?

I don't know ... IMO, the Debian.org website isn't exactly the best of it's kind. Other distros and OSes (FreeBSD, for example) have better organized, designed, and maintained websites. Debian's can be confusing to navigate and is chock-a-block full of old, deprecated docs.

Traditionally, Debian didn't really have much of a schedule, so it's possible no one has got around to putting one on the website. For all I know, there might be some serious reservations about or in-fighting over the schedule that's keeping it from being posted to the site. You'd probably have to wade into one or more of the various developer/administration oriented lists to find out.

--
Michael M. ++ Portland, OR ++ USA
"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream." --S. Jackson