Re: OT: does reporting to spamcop do any good?

Pascal Hakim <pasc@redellipse.net>:
>  On Sun, Jun 18, 2006 at 02:01:55PM +0000, s. keeling wrote:
> > >  Has anyone on the list used spamcop  ( http://www.spamcop.net/ ) to report
> > >  spam? It takes sometime to report the spam.
> >
> > My procmail scripts report it, based on what spamassassin and
> > bogofilter have to say about it.  My MUA is mutt and I've defined
> > macros which train bf and run w3m on spamcop's reply email.  It only
> > takes a few seconds to confirm each spam.
>
>  For people following at home, automating the reporting of spam is
>  discouraged.

Hey Pascal.  Sorry, that's not what I was suggesting.  Spamcop itself
supplies a perl script that will automate the *sending* of spam to
Spamcop.  You still need to go to the URL that Spamcop returns in
order to *verify* that what the script sent was Spam.

Agreed, that last step cannot, and should not, be done by anything
other than human judgement.

>  A fair number of people manage to report either their own
>  ISPs or mails they've actually signed up to receive (for example,
>  this list server has been blacklisted a few times), so you'll need to
>  be careful as to what you report, unless you know what you're doing.

Also agreed.  However, Spamcop does appear to be smart enough to
recognize list mail.  It goes after the the miscreants, not their
victims.

    (*)    http://www.spots.ab.ca/~keeling           Linux Counter #80292
    - -    http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1855.html
           Spammers! http://www.spots.ab.ca/~keeling/emails.html